.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 9, 2008

StoneCreek Block Party


A little more than a month ago our neighbors and good friends, Heather and Drew Kirk .... Wait, Wait, Wait.. There is a story behind our friendship..
Once Upon A Time..... Yea Yea Yea.. like any modern day story ever starts like that.....
Once upon a crazy day (now that is more like it) Two Houses down from us another young couple moved in. We introduced ourselves, said our neighborly hellos.. and that was that.. One night Michael said that he thought they went to our church and I said that we needed to invite them to our lifegroup.. Not much happened, than one night the Elder's Wives hosted a dessert social for women 30 and under. Heather came up and sa
id, "I think you are my neighbor".. We invited them to lifegroup and they came the next Sunday. Ever since then they have been apart of our group and been our friends... (aka. happily ever after)
So back to to my original story (getting side tracked happens often with me)... Heather, Drew, and us decided we needed to have a Block Party... We asked the family that lives in the house between us if they were up for it.. They said yes and so we ran with it.. Around a month ago Heather put flyers on everyones mailbox (if right now you are thinking that is illegal, than you are way too uptight and probably not my friend.. you blog stalker you) Last Monday night Michael and I put up reminder flyers and that was the planning.. Ok so there was a little more than that, but not much..

This past Saturday came and 5:00 was hot as all get out.. But The Kirk's, our middle neighbor family, and us were out ready to go.. We had tents, tailgating chairs, grills, food, and some beverages... What more could we need.. Well once 5:30 came around and we were still the only 3 families out there, we decided we might need more people to call it a block party.. (it was suppose to start at 5:00).. We decided that we were having a good time even if we were the only people to show up..
But very soon, everyone started rolling in.. It ended up being a blast. We had around half the people that live on our street show up.. Not a bad turn out.. Everyone stayed out until around 9 or 10 that night.. I can say that it was a SUCCESS !!!! We will have a Second Annual Stonecreek Trail Block Party.. What can I say, I am always up for a good Party !!
Here is Michael and Drew doing the Louisiana Point.. Wow.. Who is Michael not going to get doing the Louisiana Point?? Watch out... The Louisiana Point is coming to a husband near you !!
Here is Heather and I (and cute little Denny, their new puppy)

I was able to grab Michael away from the football and the grill long enough to catch a quick picture..

The neighbors in between us are from Guam.. And towards the end of the night they put on a show for us. A fire show !! It was really cool.. You can hardly tell but Michael is holding a fire stick, wanting to learn.. But I say, leave it to the pros..

Here are two of the guys twirling a fire stick.. It was a stick that lights on fire at each end.. Super cool and a great way to end a fun night !!!!!

I highly recommend having a block party.. No much planning and a great way to get to know your neighbors.. So we can check Hosting a Block Party off our list.. Now to the next item !!!
side note ***** funny funny.. even though both the Kirk's and us planned this thing.. It all went down in the neighbor between us' yard... fun and it saved our grass.. By the way.. us'... that is an Alabama word..

3 comments:

Jamie Grizzle said...

Dang! That's a heck of a block party! Maybe we should move to your neighborhood? I love fireshows! ;-)

Kristy said...

Ooh! I want to plan one of these. Great pictures and it sounds like so much fun. And I LOVE us.'

Whitney said...

Okay, so I laughed OUT LOUD while reading this post. Hysterical... the "Once upon a crazy day," the "coming to a husband near you," the "if you are thinking this is illegal then you are probably not my friend" and ESPECIALLY the word "us's." I actually had my mouth closed on that one and when my laugh of air tried to escape, I made a "pfffft" sound... but it was sort of wet... or spitty. Anyway, I'm rambling. The point is, you are one funny girly, Jessa Mullen. I love you!