.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Off To Lynchburg, TN.


Michael sent me an email with some information on a Half Marathon in Tennessee and asked if I wanted to do it.. After I started breathing again... I wanted to say yes, I really did...Michael and I went back and forth.. To Run or Not To Run, that was the question!
I thought I could just run the best I could and walk what I could not run! Then I pictured everyone else being finished and them cleaning up and hours..h..o..u..r..s later me finishing! This thought was all it took.
Next time I will run....
this time I will be a cheerleader (I KNOW I can do that)
Since Michael had this past Friday off for Good Friday we headed down early!
This half was called the Oak Barrel Half Marathon. It was in Lynchburg, Tennessee.. Home of the Jack Daniels Distillery..
Also located in a dry county????(things that make you go HUM)
Once we got there, Michael got all registered for the run!
Then we got on the list for a tour of distillery (it was free). While we were waiting we walked around looking at all the neat stuff. While waiting I thought I would grab me a free beverage. I saw the lemonade and just knew it was Jack Daniel's Lemonade, but oh no! Not in that Dry County... HUM!
It was a beautiful day and the tour was AWESOME! Here are some fun facts and photos from the tour!
This is one of the 78 warehouses where the barrels are kept while they...
do what they do! The barrels are hand made and only used once.
This is a fresh water stream and this water has and is still used in making the JD! It was very cold once you got in the cave.
Jack Daniels was a wee little man, a wee little man was he!
And they said that this statue was made taller than he actually was!
He was 5'2.... I am 5'1....
Sign leading into the original office and only original building still standing
COOL FACT:
All around the distillery the trees are black and look very unhealthy, but actually they are covered with a black mold caused by the evaporating alcohol in the air. Back in the day of illegal distilleries and bootleggers, this is how they would be found by the police!

It was beautiful outside and there were many great photo opportunities, BUT we were with the tour group and I did not want everyone to stop just so Michael and I could take a picture on the old cool bench! Ok I admit, I wanted to.. But Michael said NO!
After the tour we went over this bridge and headed into town square!

Finally got our picture!
After our fun time at the distillery we headed to our hotel. We checked in and went for dinner! We drove around until we found a place with the most cars! And that is where we ate, because that is what you do in a small town!
We headed to bed early, because we..OK, Michael had a big day coming up!
I highly recommend this tour! It was great and so neat learning how Jack Daniel's is made and the story behind it!

1 comment:

McKinney Madness said...

Looks like you guys did have some good tourist time while you were there! What a fun trip! I'm so proud of Mike!!